Comal County Court at Law #2
Comal County Court at Law #2 Judge Charles A. Stephens
Court Administrator: Ashley Evans
Bailiff: Preston Davis
Court Reporter: Dana Dance (830-221-1191)
150 N. Seguin, Suite 301, New Braunfels, Texas 78130
Phone: 830-221-1193 | FAX: 830-620-0465
If you have any questions, please call at Ext. 1605
Office Hours: Monday thru Friday 8am - 5pm
Driving Directions to CCL#2 | Campus Map
Court Call/Video Telephone Appearance Fee is $60 for this service.
Contact With The Court
"A Judge...shall not directly or indirectly initiate, permit, nor consider ex parte or other private communications concerning the merits of a pending or impending judicial proceeding. A Judge shall require compliance with this subsection by court personnel subject to his or her direction and control... " Judicial Code of Conduct Cannon 3 Section A(5)
The County Court at Law Courtroom is located on the third floor of the courthouse annex building in downtown New Braunfels. See driving directions
Court begins at 8:30 a.m. Hearings are set for 8:30 am or 1:30 pm. All hearings are open to the public.
All defendants should be prepared to pay Court cost on the day his/her case is disposed of. It is the Courts recommendation that defendants bring a minimum of $500.00 to cover cost and fees. The county accepts MasterCard, Visa, money orders, cashier's checks and cash. NO CHECKS.
The Court Administrator does not accept filings. All Instruments must be filed through the Comal County Clerk’s Office. With the exception of condemnations and forcible detainers, all Civil matters must be mediated prior to a trial request being made. All trial requests must be made in writing. To set a hearing on a motion, you should contact the Court Administrator at (830) 221-1180.
Proper Courtroom attire:
The Comal County Courts at Law hear serious cases, cases where individuals could be jailed, could be ordered to pay money damages, or could even lose custody of their children. These are serious matters, and all individuals in attendance should dress and act accordingly.
Proper Courtroom attire means:
- No caps
- No piercing (other than ears)
- No sunglasses
- No shorts
- No midriff shirts
- No baggy trousers
- No cell phones
- No pagers
- No slouching or sleeping in the courtroom.
- No weapons of any sort, including guns, knives, ect. (all individuals who enter the Courthouse are subject to search, and violation of this rule may result in your arrest).
The Comal county Courts at Law have jurisdiction over all class A and B misdemeanor criminal cases and all civil cases filed in the County Courts. These Courts also have jurisdiction in probate and guardianship matters.
The Comal County Courts at Law also hear traffic and other appeals from Justice and Municipal Courts. Additionally, the Comal County Courts at Law and the District Courts share concurrent jurisdiction over all domestic relations cases, such as divorce, modifications and adoptions.
The Comal County Courts at Law and the District Courts also share concurrent jurisdiction over cases involving mental commitments, juvenile matters, and civil cases in which the matter in controversy ranges from $501.00 to $200,000.00 excluding interest, statutory or punitive damages and penalties, and attorney’s fees and costs.”
- All hearings, court trials and jury trials are to be set with the Court Administrator.
- A copy of the Court's calendar is available.
- A party requesting a hearing is required to notify all parties and copy the Court.
- No motion for continuance will be considered without a hearing.
- A hearing is required for all motions to transfer.
- Agreed judgments must be signed by all attorneys and parties.
- Judgments (i.e., court, jury, divorce decrees) must be signed by all attorneys.
- Uncontested matters require submission of a judgment or decree at the time of hearing.
- All requests for transcripts must be in writing, designating the case style, date of hearing, portion(s) of hearing requested, and copies of exhibits, if any.
- All requests for transcripts must be in writing to the court reporter (Dana Dance @ 830-221-1191), designating the case style, date of hearing, portion(s) of hearing requested, and copies of exhibits, if any.
Supporting County Offices: