Jury Summons Card- County Courts at Law 1 and 2
The instructions below will give information to people called for jury service. Read these instructions carefully before filling out information.
1. Fill out the enclosed questionnaire on the reverse side of the post card. If you have any questions regarding the questionnaire, call the jury information number for assistance.
2. You may file for an exemption on the affidavit supplied. The exemptions listed are the only ones for which an individual can be excused. Business reasons are not a reason for excuse. If a medical exemption is desired, a written excuse from a doctor must accompany the affidavit.
3. You MUST call the jury information number which is printed in the upper right hand corner of this summons. The number will be available to receive calls after 5:00pm, of the last working day prior to your appearance date and until 8:00am on your appearance date. A recording will give instructions as to whether or not you will need to report.
4. You may complete your questionnaire online, return by mail, or you may turn it in on the day you report for jury duty.
5. NOTE: If you claim to be disqualified based on lack of citizenship or lack of residence in this county, you may no longer be eligible to vote in this county. I have moved out of the county. Check here ______ I authorize the cancellation of my registration in this county.
JUROR'S RIGHTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Right to Reemployment: A private employer may not terminate the employment of a permanent employee because the employee serves as a juror. An employee whose employment is terminated in violation of this section is entitled to return to the same employment that the employee held when summoned for jury service, as soon as practical after release from jury service, gives the employer actual notice that the employee intends to return. (Civil Practice and Remedies Code, Section 122.001)
Failure to Answer Summons and Penalties: A person who fails to comply with this summons is subject to contempt action punishable by a fine of not less than $100.00 nor more than $1,000 (Government code, Section 62.0141). Additionally, a person shall be fined not less than $10 nor more than $100 if the person (1) fails to attend court in obedience to the notice without reasonable excuse; or (2) files a false claim of exemption from jury service (Government Code, Section 62.111).
Proper Clothing Required: All persons entering the courtroom should be dressed in clothing reasonably befitting the dignity and solemnity of the court proceedings.
Example of Disqualified: You do not need to appear in person if you are exempt or not qualified for jury service. To claim an exemption or report your disqualification you must complete the form on the back, sign it and mail or personally bring it immediately to the address printed to the left of this summons.