Comal County EMPLOYEE BENEFITS PROGRAM
COUNTY SICK LEAVE POOL
The purpose of the County Sick Leave Pool Program is to provide additional sick leave for eligible full-time employees (to facilitate their return to work), who have a catastrophic illness or injury. The non-occupational illness or injury must last longer than three weeks (21 calendar days) and cause the employee to exhaust all personal accrued leave time (vacation, sick leave and compensatory time).
|Membership:||Full-time employees who have 12 months service & have completed an application form (each year). Contribution of at least a minimum of 8 hours / max of 40 hours per year is required.|
|Administration:||The Human Resources Executive Office Manager will review all applications for membership and grant request for validity.|
The maximum grant is 180 days or 1/3 of the Sick Leave Pool balance (whichever is less) - runs concurrently with FMLA and Short-term Disability.
Amount granted is determined by the Human Resources Executive Office Manager and is based upon the medical recommendation of the attending physician.
|Contact your Human Resources Department for more information on Comal County benefits.|
COUNTY DEFERRED COMPENSATION PROGRAM
Public Employee 457 Deferred Compensation Plan is a voluntary, tax-favored supplemental retirement savings program that allows most employees to contribute a portion of their salary before federal taxes to a personal retirement account.
- Payroll deductions - automatic investment of your deductions
- Minimal contribution - as little as $20 per month
- Pre-Tax and Tax-Deferred Benefits
- Can set aside a maximum of up to $18,000 per year
- Catch up provisions for age 49 & older (up to $5,000 per year)
- Retirement and termination of employment
- Unforeseeable emergency
Employees currently have two plans to choose from:
- Hartford's DCPlus- Tobin Hoffman (HFS Securities) (830) 625-5845
- Nationwide- Janice Huey Wong (210) 313-0436
2017 PAID HOLIDAYS
New Year's Day Jan. 2 (Observed), MLK Day Jan. 16, President's Day Feb. 20, Founder's Day April 14, Memorial Day May 29, Independence Day July 4, Labor Day Sept. 4, Fair Day Sept. 29, Veteran's Day Nov. 10, Thanksgiving Nov. 23 & 24, Christmas, Dec. 25 & 26 (Christmas Eve Observed). All holidays are reviewed annually & are subject to change and approval by Commissioners Court.
Two weeks vacation 1 week (5 days) after 6 months; 5 additional days after 12 months, (2 weeks per year).Three week vacation (15 days) after 10 years.
Sick Leave (SL) accrual of 3.076 hrs per pay period (80 hrs per year). SL "Buy Back" each year for half of any SL accrued over 320 hrs. Exempt employees not eligible. Paid comprehensive hospitalization, major medical health plan with full coverage for most outpatient expenses & full pharmacy card for full-time employees. Coverage available for dependents at following rates (**bi-weekly=26 pay periods):
Paid $45K (Double Indemnity) Basic Life for EE with Accidental Death & Dismemberment
Paid Short-term Disability for employee
Paid Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
Supplemental insurance plans available through Allstate, Unum, & Guardian via Cafeteria Plan (Section 125), examples:
- Supplemental Death Benefits*
- Allstate Accident Policy*
- Allstate Cancer Policy*
- Allstate Critical Illness*
- Allstate GAP Insurance Policy*
- Guardian Dental & Vision Insurance Plans
- Guardian Group Dependent Term Life Ins*
- Unum Long-term Disability Insurance
- Medical & Dependent Care Reimbursement
- AirLife (Air Ambulance) Insurance*
- * portable coverage
- Automatic deposit (mandatory)
- Free Discount Vision Program
- 10 - 14 paid holidays (varies by year)
- Paid Bereavement leave
- Tax Deferred Annuity (fixed or variable)
- Workers' Compensation/Unemployment Insurance
- County Sick Leave Pool Program Available after 12 months of employment (cost = 8hrs of base pay per year)
|10 Days(2 Weeks) per year||1st Pay Period following 6 months service & 1st Pay Period after 1st year of service.||3.08 hours per pay period (26 pay periods per year) Note 1.||20 days Maximum|
|15 Days (3 Weeks)||Completion of 10 year's service.||4.62 hours per pay period (26 pay periods per year) Note 2.||30 days Maximum|
|Note 1: Begins (as noted above) on pay period following 6 month & 1st year anniversary, & each pay period thereafter.|
|Note 2: Begins on pay period following the tenth anniversary and each pay period thereafter.|
FAMILY MEDICAL LEAVE (FMLA)
A family and/or medical leave of absence is available to eligible employees for up to twelve (12) weeks of unpaid leave in any 12-month period under certain circumstances that are related to the health of the employee or the employee's family. FMLA is based on a rolling 12-month period, measured backward, from the date the employee uses any FMLA leave. Comp time, sick leave, and vacation accruals will be exhausted with FMLA requests until it reaches an unpaid status.
Reasons to request leaves under FMLA are:
- The birth, adoption, or foster care placement of a child.
- A serious health condition that prevents the employee from doing the essential functions of his or her job.
- Caring for a child, spouse, or parent with a serious health condition.
Included in the FMLA regulations benefit entitlements January 2008 military family leave statute, passed as part of the National Defense Authorization Act.
- Qualifying Exigency Leave under which eligible employees may take up to 12 weeks of FMLA leave for reasons related to the call to active duty of covered service member spouses, children, or parents
- Military Caregiver Leave, which gives employees up to 26 weeks of leave in a single 12-month period to care for a seriously injured or ill covered service member.
TEXAS COUNTY AND DISTRICT RETIREMENT SYSTEM (TCDRS)
|Member Participation||All elected officials and employees are required to become a member of the system. Employees (EE's) must contribute 7% each pay period with the County matching EE's deposits @ 2:1 at time of retirement.|
|Service Retirement||A member is eligible for lifetime monthly service retirement benefit payments if they:
|Disability Retirement||Non-service connected: A member with at least 8 years credited service who is permanently disabled for any reason and incapacitated for any gainful occupation.|
|Supplemental Death Benefit||Provides the beneficiary of a deceased employee-member with a lump sum death benefit payment equal to a year's salary. Provides beneficiary of a retired member with a lump-sum payment of $5,000 upon death of the retired member.|
|Vesting||Employees earn vested rights upon the completion of eight (8) years of creditable service. Vesting is the right to retire and to receive lifetime monthly pension payments contingent upon satisfaction of the age requirement for retirement.|