Justice of the Peace #3- Pay Tickets
he Texas Judicial System has three levels of trial court – district, county, and justice or municipal and two appellate courts. The justice of the peace falls into the justice court. This court has the most uniform court in the state.
Each county is required to have a justice of the peace, and generally there is one for each precinct. The precincts are based on population. These precincts can be changed through redistricting by the commissioners court.
The justice court has jurisdiction over civil, small claims, and eviction suits up to $10,000 exclusive of interest. Because the justice court is not a court of record, any appeal to county court is trial de novo, or a new trial.
Make Online Payments (You will need code: (3625552) for JP3 payments
- Juveniles: If you are under the age of 17 and have any type of violation, you must appear in court with your parent or guardian. The court will notify you of your appearance date.
- Minors: If you are under the age of 21 and you have an alcohol related violation, you must appear in open court to enter your plea. The court will notify you of your appearance date.
On-line payments are now available for defensive driving and paying tickets
Instructions for Paying a Ticket
1. This information is furnished as a courtesy to you by the Justice court of Comal County, Texas, to assist you in making disposition of the charge(s) filed against you. Your signature is a legal commitment to appear before the Judge. Your reply may be done completely by mail, using this letter. You need to respond before your due date on the citation.
2. IF YOU WISH TO ENTER A PLEA OF GUILTY OR NOLO CONTENDERE, please so indicate below in the proper space provided. A plea of Nolo Contendere means that you do not contest the state's charge(s) against you. The fine for a Nolo Contendere plea is the same as that for a plea of Guilty. Either plea indicates that you agree to waive appearances before the Court for trial.
3. You must refer to the schedule provided to you by the officer to determine the total amount of your Fine(s) and cost assessed against you. If you lost the fine and cost schedule please call our office to obtain the correct amount. Make your remittance by Cashier's Check or Money Order to the Justice Court Pct. 3. Return your copy of the citation and this letter with your remittance to assure proper credit.
4. IF YOU WISH TO ENTER A PLEA OF NOT GUILTY you must appear in open court. For additional instructions please call our office and speak to the Court Coordinator.
5. IF YOU FAIL TO RESPOND TO THE CHARGE(S) BY THE APPEARANCE DATE SHOWN ON THE CITATION, AN ADDITIONAL CHARGE WILL BE FILED AGAINST YOU FOR FAILURE TO APPEAR AND A WARRANT ISSUED FOR YOUR ARREST.
THE WARRANT WILL BE ENTERED IN A STATEWIDE COMPUTER. YOU WILL BE SUBJECT TO IMMEDIATE ARREST, AND IT MAY PREVENT A RENEWAL OF YOUR DRIVERS LICENSE.
A CONVICTION OF AN OFFENSE UNDER A TRAFFIC LAW OF THIS STATE OR A POLITICAL SUBDIVISION OF THIS STATE MAY RESULT IN THE ASSESSMENT ON YOUR DRIVER'S LICENSE OF A SURCHARGE UNDER THE DRIVER RESPONSIBILITY PROGRAM.
YOUR PROMPT ATTENTION TO THIS MATTER WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.
**The reply form is issued with the citation
(This form can be filled out on-line then printed)
Use Bureau Code: 3625552