Historical Photo Gallery
Picture & Text Courtesy of Sophienburg - New Braunfels Archive & Museum of History
Five mules powered this mill on the Preiss farm, site of the Western Texas Orphan Asylum
incorporated in 1848 under the direction of Rev. L. C. Ervendburg,
Hermann Spiess, and Ludwig Bene. The "Waisenfarm" (orphans farm),
as it was known, had been established by Pastor Ervendburg
to care for the many children who had lost their parents in the epidemic
of 1846, or earlier on shipboard during the journey from Germany.
This picture is the property of the Sophienburg Museum. Please do not print or copy this picture.
Back to Historic Pictures Page