DBA - New Business (Comal County Clerks Office)

A company doing business in Texas must file an Assumed Name Certificate (d.b.a. 'Doing Business As') with the county clerk of each county in which the business will be conducted. Assumed Name Certificates are good for 10 years from the date of filing or a shorter period of time may be indicated on the application.

NOTE: Filing an Assumed Name Certificate does not prevent another party from using the same name. Direct any legal question regarding a business name to an attorney.

The withdrawal of a partner or abandonment of an assumed name is recorded in the same office.


Assumed Name (DBA) Certificate for Unincorporated Business

Requirements for Incorporated DBA SOS Notice

Click here to view all available County Clerk Forms.


Starting a New Business

General Information

1. Confirm with bank or credit union the proposed name of the business is acceptable.

2. File a Sole Proprietor or General Partnership Assumed Name (D.B.A.) Certificate with the County Clerk in the County(s) in which the business is located and/or will conduct business.

*Corporations (Inc.), LLC, Ltd, etc., are filed with the Secretary of State in Austin. These are no longer filed with the county. Contact the Secretary of State:

  • a. Address: 1019 Brazos, Austin, TX 78701
  • b. Phone number: (512) 463-5555
  • c. Website: www.sos.state.tx.us.

3. Present the recorded Assumed Name (D.B.A.) Certificate to bank or credit union when opening a business account.

4. Regulatory Assistance Program concerning licenses or permits, contact the Texas Department of Commerce in Austin:

  • a. Phone number: (800) 888-0511
  • b. Website: www.commerce.gov

5. To obtain a State Sales Tax ID# contact the State Comptroller:

  • a. Address: 123 SW Military Dr., San Antonio, TX 78221
    • i. Phone Number: (210) 924-6434
  • b. Address: 3300 Nacogdoches, San Antonio, TX 78217
    • i. Phone Number: (210) 646-0399
  • c. Address: 9514 Console Dr., San Antonio, TX 78229
    • i. Phone Number: (210) 616-0067
  • d. Website: www.cpa.state.tx.us

6. A Federal Tax ID (Employer Identification Number or EIN) Number is available through the IRS:

  • a. Phone Number (800) 829-1040
  • b. Website: www.irs.gov

7. For an Employer’s ID #, contact the Texas Employment Commission:

  • a. Phone Number (512) 463-2731
  • b. Website: www.twc.state.tx.us

8. To Order IRS Business Tax Kit and other publications:

  • a. Phone Number (800) 829-3676
  • b. Website: www.irs.gov

9. Business located in a city or its jurisdiction, contact the city for possible permit requirements:

  • a. New Braunfels
    • i. 424 S. Castell Ave., New Braunfels, TX 78130
    • ii. Phone Number (830) 221-4000
    • iii. Website: www.ci.new-braunfels.tx.us
  • b. Garden Ridge
    • i. 9400 Municipal Pkwy., Garden Ridge, TX 78266
    • ii. Phone Number (210) 651-6632
    • iii. Website: www.ci.garden-ridge.tx.us
  • c. Bulverde
    • i. 30360 Cougar Bend, Bulverde, TX 78163
    • ii. Phone Number (830) 980-8832
    • iii. Website: www.ci.bulverde.tx.us

10. Home based operations, contact Homeowners Association

11. Food related business contact Texas Department of State Health Services:

  • a. Phone Number: (512) 834-6727
  • b. Website: www.dshs.state.tx.us

12. Texas Workers Compensation Texas Department of Insurance:

  • a. Phone Number (800)252-3439
  • b. Website: www.tdi.texas.gov

13. OSHA Safety Regulations:

  • a. Phone Number: (210) 472-5040
  • b. Website: www.osha.gov

14. Patents or Copyrights:

  • a. Commissioner of Patents and Trademarks
    • i. Office of the Commissioner for Patents (USPTO)
    • Washington DC 20231
      • ii. Phone Number: (571) 272-8800
      • iii. Website: www.uspto.gov
  • b. Copyright Office, LOM455
    • i. Library of Congress

Copyright Office:

101 Independence Avenue, SE

Washington, DE 20559-6000

  • ii. Phone Number (202) 707-3000 or (877) 476-0778 (toll free)
  • iii. Website: www.loc.gov


County Clerk