Comal County Courts at Law Clerks


The County Courts at Law (Clerks office) is one of many departments under the County Clerk’s office and works for the Elected official, Honorable Bobbie Koepp.

The clerk’s role as a supporter of county courts 1,2 and 3 is vital. Our Clerk’s office is committed to providing exceptional customer service to the public by maintaining judicial records pertaining to county courts. As a record keeper, our duty to keep the records of county courts safe and properly indexed is crucial to allow the clerks to locate and release copies of requested records.

Among other duties, this office files civil lawsuits with the jurisdictional limits of $500.00 to $250,000.00, nondisclosures, occupational driver’s license, NISI and cases appealed from the Justice of the Peace. We record and probate wills, guardianships and mental health cases. We support misdemeanor criminal courts, along with collecting and keeping account of all funds including fines and fees assessed by a Judge. Finally, we summon and pay amounts due to jurors for misdemeanor County Court at law Jury cases.

Department Phone Email
Records 830-221-1240 Option # 1
Probate/Mental Health 830-221-1240 Option # 2  
Criminal Misdemeanors 830-221-1240 Option # 3  
Jury 830-221-1240 Option # 4
Civil 830-221-1240 Option # 5  
Collections 830-221-1240 Option # 6  
County Clerk 830-221-1240 Option # 9  



Requests for public records will be sent to Comal County Court at Law records clerk. The records clerk can provide copies from County Court at Law #1, County Court at Law #2, and County Court at Law #3, Criminal Misdemeanor, Civil, and Probate records. (Public records only). A request for public records shall be submitted in writing before we process them. The request may be submitted online, email, fax, or in person. Requests are processed in the order they are received. Please be specific with the case number and the document in your request. Notification will be made if we cannot locate the information requested. You will be notified of the cost prior to processing your request. You must respond to any written estimate of charges within 10 days of the date the governmental body sent it or the request is considered automatically withdrawn.

The Texas Public Information Act (Texas Government Code, Chapter 552) does not require a governmental body receiving the request to do research or answer questions.

Records are available to view in our lobby office at no charge. You can also search for case information on the Comal County Website: The website will only show the case summary information and actions in the case, images of records are not available online.

Hours: The County Court at Law Clerks

  • Office hours Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
  • Lobby hours: 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
  • Closed for lunch daily from 12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.

Fees: To be paid by cash, check, money order, or credit card. A 2.85% convenience fee will be charged to your credit card and paid directly to Certified Payments.

(Local Government Code 118.052(3)); (TX Administrative Code §70.3)

Electronic Copy Fee:

  • $1.00 Flat fee for each document 10 pages or less
  • $0.10 Each additional page (+11)

Paper Copies:

  • $1.00 Regular printed copy per page
  • $5.00 Certification Fee (Per Document) (Paper Only)
  • $3.00 Postage
    • Large requests may be calculated to include time and assembly.
    • CDs - $1.00 plus calculated time and fees.

County Court at Law Clerk's Records Information/Form

Request in person:

In our office we still do require for everyone to fill out or “Records request for copies of public records” to insure we get you the correct copies you are wanting. We are located at 199 Main Plaza, Ste. 1013, New Braunfels, TX 78130.


You can mail a written request to 199 Main Plaza, Ste. 1013, New Braunfels, TX 78130. Please be aware fees must be paid to process your request. You may contact a records clerk at 830-221-1149.


If you have any questions about requesting documents, you can contact us directly at 830-221-1149 to speak with a records clerk.


You can submit a records request through fax as well 830-608-2021.


You may send an email request at Please make sure you include the information you need to obtain the correct copy that will include name, date of birth, case number, and what documents you are wanting. Please let us know how you would like them delivered as well (electronic or paper copy).

Background Checks for Military and Law Enforcement Agencies:

Please note Comal County Court at law Clerks does not perform background checks we can assist military and state department with public records if a charge was filed in our County Court at Law Courts.


**Please scan the QR code if you have not filled out your questionnaire. **  (OR) you may go on line to:




For specific questions please call our Jury Phone # (830) 221-1129
For the current JURY REPORTING SCHEDULE, Click Here.














General information:

There are 4 District Courts, 3 County Court at Law Courts, and 4 Justice of the Peace Courts in Comal County. Jurors for all courts are pulled at the same time. You may be summoned to any court including the municipal court for the town you live in (i.e. New Braunfels) or for Federal Jury Duty. (Which does not fall under Comal County authority). Jury service is mandatory and prospective juror names are obtained from Voter Registration and Texas Department of Motor Vehicle records. For common questions and answers, please see below.

Q & A:

Q. What time is check in and what happens if I am late?

  • A. Check in is from 7:45am-8:30am. Arriving after 8:30 will result in you being rescheduled to a later date.

Q. Do I have to respond to a jury summons?

  • A. YES. The juror summons is an official court order; a person who fails to comply with a summons is subject to contempt of court action punishable by a fine of not less than $100 nor more than $1,000 (GOV code, section 62.0141). Additionally, a person shall be fined not less than $10 nor more than $100 if the person fails to attend court in obedience to the notice without reasonable excuse and or files a false claim of exemption from jury service (Gov. code 62.111).

Q. What is my duty as a juror?

  • A. As a juror, you must be fair and impartial. Your actions and decisions must be free of any bias or prejudice. Your actions and decisions are the foundation of our judicial system. It is not just a duty but your right as a citizen of the United States and a resident of Comal County.

Q. What should I do if I receive a jury summons in the mail?

  • A. READ THE SUMMONS. The summons contains a great deal of information about when, where, and how to report for jury service; as well as a questionnaire that needs to be completed 10 days prior to jury summons date.Jury E-response website:

Q. Am I eligible to serve?

  1. You must be a citizen of the United States and of Texas.
  2. You must be at least 18 years of age.
  3.  You must be a resident of Comal County.
  4.  You must be able to read and write.
  5.  You must be of a sound mind.
  6.  Not have served as a juror for six days in the preceding three months in the county court or during the preceding six months in the district court.
  7.  Not been convicted of or under indictment for felony or a misdemeanor theft.

Q. How was I selected to receive a jury summons?

  • A. You were selected at random from a compiled list of voter registrations and a list of driver registrations from the county in which you live. Every person who is at least 18 years of age, is a United States citizen, a resident of Comal County and is eligible to vote in Comal County can be summoned for jury duty. You do not have to be registered to vote to be eligible for jury duty.

Q. What are the different types of cases?

  • A. There are two basic types of cases, criminal and civil (including probate and family cases.))

Q. Who can have jury trial?

  • A. Any person charged with a criminal offense or any party to a civil case has a right to a jury trial. All parties are equal before the law, and each is entitled to the same fair treatment..

Q. Is there a specific dress code when reporting for jury duty?

  • A. All people should be dressed in clothing reasonable befitting the dignity and solemnity of the court proceedings. Shorts, tank tops, bare midriffs, hats, river/beach shoes are not permitted. The courtroom is air conditioned for your comfort you may bring a light jacket..

Q. Who can be excused from jury service?

  • A. You are entitled to be excused as a juror if you respond to your jury summons with a request for excusal for the following reasons:
  1. You are over 75 years of age..
  2. You have legal custody of a child or children younger than 12 years of age and service on the jury would require leaving the child or children without adequate supervision. (This exemption does NOT apply to childcare workers.))
  3. You are a student at a public or private high school..
  4. You are enrolled and in actual attendance at an institution of higher education..
  5. You are an officer or an employee of the legislative branch of the state government.You are an officer or an employee of the legislative branch of the state government.
    1. (This exemption does NOT pertain to peace officers; you must be a member of the legislative branch of state government.))
  6. You are a primary caretaker of a person who is unable to care for himself or herself. (This exemption does NOT apply if you are a primary caretaker as a health care worker such as home health care worker.)

Q. Will I be paid for being a juror?

  • A. Yes, the pay is $20 for the first day and $58 for each subsequent day. You will receive a payment/donation form when you report for jury duty.
  • A. Your employer is not required to pay you while you are on jury duty; however, many do.
  • A. Under the law your employer must let you off for jury service. Employers cannot discharge or otherwise penalize an employee who is summoned to court to serve as a juror.

Q. Do you have something I can take to my employer to confirm that I have jury duty?

  • A. Yes, once your jury duty is completed, we can give you a work excuse to turn into your employer. It is your responsibility to get your work excuse BEFORE YOU LEAVE.

Q. What if I have a special need or emergency?

  • A. When you receive your summons, you may contact the clerk’s office listed on your summons for assistance. After you have been selected as a juror on a trial panel, if you have a special need or an emergency, please inform the court bailiff.

Q. I am the sole proprietor of my business, if I must attend jury duty, I must close my business down. Is there any way I can be excused?

  • A. No, it is against the law for us to excuse people for economic reasons. Under certain circumstances the court may allow you to reschedule your jury duty for a limited period.

Q. My job requires that I travel out of the county frequently, can I be excused from jury duty?

  • A. No. However, we can reschedule you to attend on a different date within the next two months.

Q. I am an RV’ER, I don’t live in Comal County, I just use the address for voting and to pay taxes, can I be exempt?

  • A. No, if you are registered to vote in this county, register your vehicles, or pay U.S or county taxes from this address then you are a resident of this county and are obligated to serve jury duty in this county.

Q. What if I have a disability or handicap?

  • A. Everyone who is eligible to be on jury duty cannot be discriminated against because of a disability. If you wish to serve, call the court that summoned you to inquire about the available accommodation. If you do not wish to serve because of your disability you will need to obtain a letter from your doctor stating that your disability precludes you from serving on jury duty.

Q. Can I be permanently excused from jury duty?

  • A. To be permanently excused you will need to fill out a permanent exemption form. You may also need a letter from your doctor.

Q. Are jurors subjected to be searched when entering a court facility?

  • A. Yes. Anyone entering the building, including employees, attorneys, and prospective jurors are subject to being searched. Do not bring any items that may possibly be used as a weapon.

Q. What if I have other questions that have not been addressed?

  • A. On your jury summons card will be a phone number for you to call for more information about your court. County Court at Law (830) 221-1129.


Payment methods

  • To Pay online use QR code or
    (Above “Blue” Payment) enter Bureau code 2741995 (You will need your cause number).
  • To Pay by Telephone: automated phone number: 1-(866) 549 – 1010 enter Bureau code 2741995 (You will need your Cause number).
  • To Pay in Person: Office location 199 Main Plaza, Suite 1013 New Braunfels Tx 78130

How can I make a payment?

  • Answer: You can make payments in person, online or through our automated phone number. (See above payment methods).

What forms of payment do you accept?

  • Answer: cash, Visa, Mastercard, Discover, American Express Debit/Credit Cards, Money Order and Cashier’s Checks – NO PERSONAL CHECKS

Is there a credit card fee?

  • Answer: Yes, there will be a 2.85% convenience fee when paying with a credit or debit card. (This fee is charged by the payment processing company. We cannot waive it).

What is the bureau code?

  • Answer: The Bureau code to pay a Misdemeanor case is 2741995

Does my late payment accrue interest?

  • Answer: No, late payments do not accrue interest.

How can I get my balance?

Can I make a partial payment?

  • Answer: Yes, pay what you can and call our office to let us know. (It is important to keep your payments up to date so that you are not in danger of being reported to a collection agency).

If I am reported to a collection agency, am I still able to make a payment?

  • Answer: Yes, you can still make payments until the balance is paid in full.

Does this payment also count for probation?

  • Answer: No, Collections and Probation are two separate offices. We collect separate fees and do not share/transfer money or split payments with each other.

What if I type the wrong bureau code? Is my payment lost?

  • Answer: No, your payment is not lost. However, we will need to research the bureau code you used, so contact our office for assistance.

Am I able to make payment on the weekend?

  • Answer: Certified payments is a 24-hour automated system, (except during holidays) and you can pay anytime. Your payment will be processed the following business day.

If I have multiple cases, can I make one big payment instead of multiple payments?

  • Answer: Yes, if you have multiple cases, enter one case number. Please specify payment preference in the comment section.

*** All payments are subject to a $2.00 Administrative transaction fee. ***


Cash Bonds


When do I get my cash bond?

  • Answer: When your case has been dismissed/disposed.

Who can get the cash bond when the case is dismissed/disposed?

  • Answer: The person who was receipted when the cash bond payment was made.

For any questions concerning Cash Bonds please contact our office at 830-221-1240.



  • REQUEST FOR SETTING-CIVIL: You must contact the appropriate Court Coordinator for the hearing date, then e-file a Notice of Setting. Once it has been signed by the coordinator we will accept, and you should also receive a copy back to your email. A signature is required per TRCP either: /s/ plus name, digital signature or handwritten.
  • SIGNATURE BLOCKS: Please ensure that all attorney and Pro-Se are provided, and the signature is provided in the signature block.
    • Information required For Attorneys: Full name, Bar number, Address, Phone number, and e-mail are required.
    • Information required For Pro-Se: Full name, Address, Phone Number, and E-mail are required.
  • REQUESTING A COPY: You may request a copy of a case via e-file, email or in person. Please be sure to provide as much information as you can. You may also email: if you wish to email instead.


  • ALL civil cases start with a Four-digit year followed by (CV), and four digits.
  • APPLICATION FOR OCCUPATIONAL LICENSE: The Filing fee for an occupational Driver’s License is $350.00. We do recommend that you consult an attorney to help you with obtaining an Occupational License. The clerk may not assist in the preparation of any application or petition, nor can we advise any litigant if the application is filed correctly. If the court does not grant the Occupational License, the filing fees are non-refundable.
  • SMALL CLAIMS ACTION: The jurisdiction for a small claim is under $20,000.00 and may be filed at Justice of the Peace Portal-Comal County, Texas.
  • SMALL CLAIMS ACTION APPEAL: If your case from the Justice of the Peace is appealed the documents in the case are sent to Comal County Civil Dept. This means that the case will be heard by a County Court at Law Judge as a new case. You will receive a notice requiring you to pay the filing fee; if the filing fee is not paid, the case will be sent back to the Justice of the Peace court. Either party may request a hearing date. The party setting the case is responsible for notifying the other party of the date, time, and location the case is set for. It is recommended that you consult with an attorney or have an attorney represent you.
  • FILING A CITATION ANSWER: As indicated on the citation you have 20 days from the date of service to e-file an answer with our office. We cannot calculate or give you the due date your answer is due. It can be submitted via e-file, or in person.
  • Case Types we do not handle in our dept: Family, Criminal, Probate, Vitals nor do we handle Land records or Liens.


  • Every document filed with the County should be a lead document. No attachments are accepted.
  • Any cover letter filed with a Petition should also be filed as a lead document.
  • If you cannot find the filing code for your document, it should be filed as a subsequent filing not as initial.
  • Citations: Please provide a cover letter as a lead document detailing your instructions for service. Be sure to include the necessary fees when requesting service.
    • Citations with a copy of the Petition will automatically be e-served back to the filer’s email address on the signature.
    • We do not serve citation to Process Server Companies. You can have us issue the citation and attach a copy of the Petition to the citation and hold it for your process server to pick up. This will require that you pay the additional copy fee for a copy of the petition to be attached to the citation and you must contact your process server to have them come by and pick it up.
  • Issuance: When filing a new case please make sure to include all fees. If you are requesting issuance, make sure to select the appropriate fee associated with the document.


  • Motions: There are several filing code options for Motions; some require fees, and some do not. Select the option that best suits your Motion. If you cannot find the exact Motion you may select Motion (No fee), however if your Motion requires a fee and you select the Motion (No fee) option your document will be returned for correction.
  • Orders: Orders will be forwarded to the Court administrators and then to the appropriate Judge for signature. Once it is signed it will be accepted in e-file. You will get notification of the acceptance and can click on the link provided to obtain a copy of the order.
  • Affidavits: If they are not exbibits they should be filed as separate lead documents in subsequent filings.
  • Bonds: If bonds are required in a case, then an ORIGINAL bond must be filed with the courts within 5 business days; an e-filed copy is not sufficient.



Probate/Mental Health:


  • Copies of Orders not signed in e-file or additional copies of Orders are $1.00 per page.
  • All Documents requesting issuance must go under the file type of REQUEST.
  • REQUEST FOR SETTING- The basic procedure is to e-file the Notice of Hearing, we will forward it to the Probate Coordinator, the Notice will be signed and sent back to us and we will accept it. Once it is accepted you will receive notification through your provider that it has been accepted and you can go to the link they provide and print out a copy and if necessary, send it to the other parties.
  • SIGNATURE BLOCKS: Please ensure that all Attorney and Pro-Se information is provided in the signature is provided in the signature block. A signature is required per TRCP either: /s/ plus name, digital signature or handwritten.
    • *Information required for Attorneys: Full Name, Bar Number, Address, Phone Number, Address, Phone Number, and E-mail are required.
    • *Information required for Pro-Se: Full Name, Address, Phone Number, and E-mail are required.
    • Documents need to be filed as separate lead documents.
    • Insufficient Fees
    • Incorrect formatting, illegible, unreadable
    • No Signature Block
    • Reasons for returning or rejecting documents are in the JCIT Technology Standards


  • ORDERS: All orders must be filed in a separate envelope from any pleading due to fees with New Pleadings, Inventories, Annual Accounts, and Annual Reports.
  • REQUEST FOR SETTING: Please contact the Probate Auditor, Michele Styslinger, at 830-221-1186


  • COVER LETTERS: File as a lead document.
  • WILL/CODICIL: ORIGINAL MUST be filed within 3 business days after e-filing the Application to Probate. The Application to Probate will not be posted until the ORIGINAL WILL is received.
  • If you cannot find a filing code for your document, it should probably be filed as a subsequent filing not an initial filing.
  • CITATIONS: Please provide a cover letter as a lead document detailing your instructions for service.
  • ISSUANCE: When filing a new case please make sure that you include all fees. If you are requesting issuance, make sure you select the appropriate fee associated with the document.
  • Fees: Call the office if you are not sure what fees are needed. Probate Department 830-221-1240 option 2
  • Orders: Are only filed as a Subsequent filing, NOT as Initial.
  • NOTE: Citation and service fees are NOT included in initial case filing fees, and must be selectedfrom Optional Services.
  • Addresses of the parties in all civil, probate and guardianship actions are required under §30.015, Civil.
  • Please call the Probate Department for any questions 830-221-1240 option 2.


  • ORDERS: All Orders have a $2 Judges signature fee. Orders will be forwarded to the Court Administrator and then to the Judge’s Queue for signature and once it is signed it will be accepted in e-file. You will get notification of the acceptance and click on the link provided to obtain a copy of the Order. All orders must be filed in a separate envelope from any pleading due to fees with New Pleadings, Inventories, Annual Accounts, and Annual Reports.
  • BONDS: ORIGINAL must be filed with the court within 5 business days; an efile copy is not sufficientPR BONDS may be filed in e-file. ALL BONDS HAVE A FILING FEE OF $7.00 (Bond $5.00 – Judges signature $2.00).
  • COVER LETTERS: Filed as a lead document in a subsequent filing.


a) Technical Problems- (855) 839-3453

b) Probate Questions- (830) 221-1240 Ext 2

c) Civil Questions - (830) 221-1240 Ext 5

**Record Search Engine:

*For Legal Assistance:

*For the latest Technology Standards on E-filing issued by JCIT please refer to:

*For information and training on how to use EFILE.TEXAS.GOV go to:

*For information on EFILE.TEXAS.GOV requirements please go to:

*For Information on Guardianship Certification please go to:

Mental Health Hotline: Call or Text 988 Or


A misdemeanor case is filed per CHAPTER 12 of the Texas Code of Criminal Procedure: Art. 12.02 MISDEMEANORS.

  • Except as provided by Subsection (b), the following charging instruments may be presented within two (2) years.
    • An indictment or information for any Class A or Class B misdemeanor: and
    • A complaint or information for any Class C misdemeanor.
  • An indictment, information, or complaint, as applicable, for assault under Section 22.01, Penal Code, may be presented within three (3) years from the date of the commission of the offense, and not afterward, if the offense:
    • Is punishable as a misdemeanor and
    • Was committed against person whose relationship to or association with the defendant is described by Section 71.0021(b), 71.003, or 71.005 Family Code from the date of the commission of the offense and not afterward.

Once a complaint/information has been filed by the District Attorney’s office, a case number and court assignment are made for the charge(s). The District Attorney’s office has up to 2 years from the date of the charge to file a misdemeanor Class A or B case (see above). You can look up the case by either the case number or the defendant’s name via the Search Criminal, Civil, Jail and Bond Records link on the Comal County website: ht

To contact the Criminal Clerk department please call 830-221-1240 Option 3.

Judicial Record Search Engine

If you need information about any unfiled charges, please contact the magistrate’s office at 830-620-3400. We are clerks for records of filed cases and cannot give any legal advice. (Texas Government Code 81.101 & 81.102). Resources:

Common questions are: The County Clerk’s office can answer questions on County Court at Law misdemeanor cases ONLY. (These can also be answered by looking up the case online.)

  • Do I have a filed case?
  • What Judge is hearing my case?
  • Do I have a court date?
  • What is the disposition of my case?
  • Do I have a warrant?
  • How can I get records from my case?
  • Do I have court appointed attorney?
  • How will I get notice of my court dates?

If you need documents from your case, please contact our records department @ 830-221-1240 Option 1 or via email @


Once a case is filed, all case documents must be E-filed. Motions and orders MUST be filed as separate lead documents (not combined or as attachments), except for Pro Se representation.


County Clerk Information