The Fischer Cemetery is located in northern Comal County at 12300 FM 32 between San Marcos and Blanco, about one-fourth mile east of FM 484. The cemetery has served the Fischer community since 1889 and burials still take place at the present time.
The Fischer community was started by Hermann Fischer and his wife Anna Lindemann, who married in 1855. They settled on 160 acres in the fertile valley that he received in 1854. Their log cabin was the first structure in the valley.
A short time after Hermann settled in Texas, his brother, Otto, joined him and filed claim on land next to Hermann’s. Otto married Adolfine Schlameus in 1871. Hermann and Anna had four children: Otto, Emma, Hermann Jr., and Wilhelm (Willie). Otto and Adolfine also had four children: Alfred, Otto Jr., Waldemar (W. G.) and Rudolph (R. O.). Both Hermann and Otto were very active in the cattle business.
After the neighborhood grew, Hermann decided to build a store in 1858 and in time Fischer’s Store became the center of the community and surrounding area. Initially, the Fishers operated a mercantile store in one end of a log cabin while their living quarters were in the other end of the structure. Other families also settled in the predominately German region - Schlameus, Spangenberg, Linnartz, Luehlfing, Sachtleben, Pantermuehl, Kaderli, Haas, Schubert, Wersterfer, Krause and Wiechman. Of course, almost everyone traveling between San Marcos and Blanco would be trading at Fischer’s Store. This store became the biggest mercantile establishment in Texas employing sixteen clerks, handling farm machinery, threshers, and other farm machinery, and a large stock of household goods as well as groceries. Click Here to Read Full Narritive