The Haag Cemetery is located in southern Comal County at 9750 Ridgeline Road which is a private road off of Lewis Ranch Road that runs into Schoenthal Road. It is about 10 miles west of New Braunfels, not far from Farm to Market Road 3009 in the Texas Hill Country. On September 15, 2016, the cemetery received the Historic Texas Cemetery designation.
New Braunfels was settled in 1845 by many German immigrants coming to Texas by way of the German Emigration Company, otherwise known as the Adelsverein or the Verein zum Schutze Deutscher Einwanderer in Texas (Society for the protection of German Immigrants in Texas). The Adelsverein founded the towns of New Braunfels and Fredericksburg. Many families moved out into Comal County from New Braunfels to acquire land for farming and ranching. Settlements developed to meet the needs of these people. The Haag Settlement was one of those settlements.
The Haag Cemetery in the Haag Settlement was established for the families of the Haag Brothers: Friedrich (Jakob), Peter (Johann) and Mathias (Mathuas), and their families who emigrated from Germany, to New Braunfels, Comal County, Texas.
In 1848-1849, Friedrich Haag purchased 320 acres about 10 miles southwest of New Braunfels. This is the area where most of the other Haag family members settled also. This area was known as the Haag Settlement. Brother Peter was the second brother to arrive and alsopurchase 320 acres. The Haag Cemetery is located on the Manual Gallardo Survey #363, Abstract #183. The western half of this property (Manual Gallardo Survey) was purchased in 1852 by Friedrich Haag. In the 1880s the name of the settlement was changed to Schoenthal, Texas. (German for "pretty valley").