Our Lady of Perpetual Help Cemetery
Our Lady of Perpetual Help Cemetery also known as Perpetuo Socorro Cemetery islocated at the corner of Peace Avenue and Basel Street in New Braunfels, Comal County, Texas. Although there are two cemeteries listed in Comal Appraisal District (CAD) #2460, combining the Panteon Hidalgo Cemetery and Our Lady of Perpetual Help (OLPH) Cemetery, the OLPH Cemetery designation for Historic Texas Cemetery will be requested as a separate designation from the Panteon Hidalgo Cemetery. Each of the two cemeteries has separate deed records, different beginning dates, was originally owned by different organizations with different purposes, and has different characteristics. There is a fence separating the two and each has separate signage. The total area of both cemeteries is 2.4902 acres according to CAD information and each cemetery contains equal portions of the total acreage. OLPH Cemetery in block #5032 is comprised of lots 11 through 17 acquired in 1928, 1936 and 1962, whereas, the Panteon Hidalgo Cemetery is in block #5032 with lots 4 through 10 acquired in 1920. Both are owned by the Archdiocese of San Antonio in care of Our Lady of Perpetual Help Church located at 128 W. Austin Street, New Braunfels, Texas.
The OLPH Cemetery was started by Our Lady of Perpetual Help Church to meet the needs of the growing Mexican-American New Braunfels population that increased in the late 1880s through the 1900s. Due to the industrial revolution at the turn of the century, many Mexican workers and their families migrated north to seek employment and a better way of life. Political discord in Mexico along with favorable working conditions in Texas prompted many to leave their homes bringing their culture and the Roman Catholic faith with them. The people filled the shortage of workers during an important growth period in New Braunfels’ history and have contributed to the success of the area.