New Braunfels, Texas
Founded in Republic of Texas, 1845, by Prince Karl of Solms-Braunfels. Focal point of German immigration to central and western Texas. Sent men, goods to Confederacy, in Civil War. Historic, recreational, tourist center. Site of Landa Park and Sophienburg Museum. The Comal is known as shortest large-volume river in U.S.
Named after Prince Solms' estate, Braunfels, on the Lahn River in Germany. Its permanence was assured by John O. Meusebach, the second Commissioner-General.
The first colonial officials were Jean J. Von Coll, bookkeeper; Nicholaus Zink, surveyor; Theodore Koester, physician. L.C. Evenberg served as pastor and Hermann F. Seele as teacher.
Comal County was created on March 24, 1846, by an act of the first Legislature of Texas.
The New Braunfelser Zeitung, oldest German newspaper in Texas, began publication on November 12, 1852, with Ferdinand Lindheimer as editor.
The first Staatssaengerfest was held at New Braunfels on October 16, 1853, and the first special tax for school purposes levied and collected in Texas was voted by New Braunfels on March 17, 1856. Erected by the State of Texas 1936 with funds appropriated by the Federal Government to commemorate one hundred years of Texas independence.
Marker Location: corner of Landa Park Monument Drive, Landa Park, New Braunfels