Old Schmidt Home

SchmidtThe Philipp Schmidt House stands in the area of the first camp site for New Braunfels' founders, on the east bank of Comal Creek.

It was built in the early 1850's by Johann Kleinhans. For nearly 100 years, it has been owned by the same family, descendants of Philipp Schmidt who bought it. Johann Kleinhans built the house in the early 1850's, and Philipp Schmidt bought it in 1871. Kleinhans came to Texas in 1846 from Trrippenhausen, Hesse, one of the Germans in the mass immigration project of the Hainzer Adelsverein. He sailed aboard the "Friedrich" from Bremen on August 21, 1845, and landed at Galveston October 24, 1846, one of 129 immigrants on the ship.

Kleinhans was listed as a carpenter on the 1850 Comal County census. He bouisht the property on which the house stands from M.A. Dooley in 1856.

Recorded Texas Historic Landmark--1968

Continue Reading



Comal County Historical Commission