Site of Old Schmitz Hotel
Site of Old Schmitz Hotel. First portion--of local cedar and limestone--was built about 1851 by Rudolph Nauendorf. Early German immigrant Jacob Schmitz bought building in 1858 as new location of his "Guadalupe Hotel.
Old World atmosphere of the inn-stagestand was praised by noted writer Frederick Olmsted. In 1873 third story was added and hotel was renamed for owner
Original facade has since been much altered. Bought (1969) by new Braunfels Conservation Society.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark-1971.