Original Gruene Mercantile  

Founded in 1878 by Henry D. Gruene to serve the families working on his cotton farm, the original Gruene Mercantile served many purpose for the community.

In addition to providing food, clothing, household goods and farm implements, the store was a stage stop and a post office. It was also used as a distribution point for H. D. Gruene's distillery, selling his Green River brand whiskey.

The wooden building was removed to site in 1904 when a new two-story red brick mercantile structure was erected on the original site across the street.

 

Marker Location: Gruene Historic District, New Braunfels

Historical Marker Information During Application (abbreviated)

Click on the photos for full size view

 
 
Copyright 2020 - All Rights Reserved - Comal County, Texas