Site of Old Schmitz Hotel  

Site of Old Schmitz Hotel.  First portion--of local cedar and limestone--was built about 1851 by Rudolph Nauendorf. Early German immigrant Jacob Schmitz bought building in 1858 as new location of his "Guadalupe Hotel. 

Old World atmosphere of the inn-stagestand was praised by noted writer Frederick Olmsted.  In 1873 third story was added and hotel was renamed for owner

. Original facade has since been much altered. Bought (1969) by new Braunfels Conservation Society. 

Recorded Texas Historic Landmark-1971.

Click on the photos for full size view

Copyright 2021 - All Rights Reserved - Comal County, Texas