Known as first orphanage in State of Texas. Chartered in 1848 as "Western Texas Orphan Asylum" by L. C. Ervendberg (d. 1863), pastor of New Braunfels.
Because of severe epidemics, many children were homeless. At this site Ervendberg built this house (now much remodeled) and began a farm. Here he reared 19 orphans as well as his own 5 children. He also held classes and taught farming techniques. His wife taught housekeeping.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark--1970
This is a Private Residence.