HOW DOES THE PROGRAM WORK?
Many residents and business owners operate
surveillance systems at their homes and/or businesses that record public
areas. As crimes occur nearby, they are not always aware that their
camera system may have captured information that could help solve the
crime. Likewise, law enforcement are not always aware of who may have
this potentially helpful information.
The Comal County Sheriff’s Office is asking residents and business owners to register their privately owned surveillance camera systems. As our agency responds to criminal incidents in Comal County, we may be able to use the information or footage gathered from exterior security cameras in the area to assist in the apprehension and prosecution of the criminals involved. There is no fee required to register your camera system.
This is not an active surveillance program being operated by the Sheriff’s Office, and the Sheriff’s Office will have no direct access to any of the registered private camera systems. The completed registration information will be housed in a secure database, and your information will be kept confidential.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF REGISTERING YOUR CAMERA SYSTEM?
The C.A.P.T.U.R.E. program will help the Sheriff’s Office quickly identify nearby cameras that may have captured criminal activity. After registering your camera you will only be contacted by the Comal County Sheriff’s Office if there is a criminal incident in the vicinity of your security camera system. Comal County Sheriff’s Office personnel, if necessary, may request to view your camera footage in order to assist in the investigation. By registering your system with its exterior cameras, you can help make Comal County an undesirable place for criminals to commit crime and keep your entire community safe.
The goal of the C.A.P.T.U.R.E. program is to deter crime and promote public safety through collaboration between the Comal County Sheriff’s Office (CCSO) and the communities we serve. Accordingly, by registering your camera system, you are indicating your agreement to the following terms:
- Registration is voluntary and there is no cost associated with registration.
- Registering your system does not provide CCSO with direct access to your system or cameras.
- You may ask to remove your system registration at any time.
- Your information will be kept confidential by the CCSO unless subject to disclosure by law or court order.
- If there is a crime in the vicinity of your camera(s), you may be contacted by the CCSO to request to view or copy the video if it would assist in the investigation or prosecution of a crime.
- Under no circumstances are registrants acting as an agent or employee of the CCSO or County of Comal through their participation in the C.A.P.T.U.R.E. program.
This program does not and cannot provide active surveillance of your property, and is not to be construed as a promise or obligation to provide any level of safety or security to your property.