Household Hazardous Waste Collection Program
Some leftover or used household products contain chemicals that can present safety concerns if not managed properly. Comal County holds bi-yearly household hazardous waste (HHW) collection events so residents can dispose of these hazardous materials safely.
What is Accepted:
- Toxic: herbicide, pesticide, fungicide
- Reactive: pool chlorine, drain cleaner, hydrogen peroxide
- Ignitable: gasoline, lighter fluid, paint thinner, stains
- Corrosive: muriatic acid, laundry bleach, oven cleaner
- Paint, automotive fluids and filters, and lead-acid batteries are also accepted at events.
What is not Accepted:
- Commercial or business waste is NOT accepted
- No trailer loads
- No containers over 5 gallons
When preparing your HHW for drop-off it is important to follow these safety guidelines:
- Keep products in their original container (if possible) and make sure labels are readable. This ensures you know which products you have and so do the workers who accept and sort your HHW.
- Store and transport your chemicals upright, not on their sides. Make sure if you are taking HHW to a facility or event, that you have secured it in your vehicle and it is not leaking – it can be dangerous if leaking containers of incompatible chemicals mix.
- NEVER mix products together. This can be dangerous, even deadly.
- Keep chemicals in a cool, dry place out of reach of children and pets.
- Do not transport products inside your vehicle. Transport in the trunk or in the bed of your truck.