COMAL COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE RECRUITING
- ENTRANCE EXAM
- Written test will consist of 100 questions (60 basic general knowledge and 40 CCP and Penal Code).
- Applicant will have 1 hour and 15 minutes to complete.
- Applicant shall pass the written test with an 80% or greater to move on to the physical fitness test.
- PHYSICAL FITNESS TEST
The duties of a Deputy require a high level of physical fitness and readiness to meet the demands of the job. The Comal County Sheriff’s Office has adopted one of the methods used by the Texas Department of Public Safety to assess deputy and candidate fitness and readiness.
To perform this assessment, we use Concept 2 Rowers for candidates to complete a 2000-meter or 4-Minute row. This activity measures the candidate’s VO2max, which is used to determine the ability of the candidate to meet this fitness requirement. During the assessment, the candidate will be required to row 2000 meters or a 4-Minute Row at maximum effort at 35%.
The required performance standard for the two rows is determined based on the candidate’s gender, weight, and age. The Department of Public Safety has validated the percentile at which we assess both deputies and candidates. Note: The row machine tension will be set at five (5).
For more information on the assessment, visit the Concept 2 website to see a demo video. The video provides great information including an overview of the exercise as well as technique.
This calculator will be used to assess candidate row time. The calculator will give you the time you have to complete the 2000-meter row at 35%. For more information on the Concept 2 Rower, click here.
- PERSONAL HISTORY STATEMENT, ORAL INTERVIEW AND BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION
- Applicant will be issued the Comal County Sheriff’s Office Personal History Statement with a designated due date to be turned into the Training Coordinator.
- After successful review and determination of eligibility, applicant will then be scheduled for an oral interview with a panel of board members.
- An eligibility list will be generated and selected applicants will be contacted and move forward to the full background phase of the hiring process.
- MEDICAL EXAM/DRUG SCREEN/PSYCHOLOGICAL EXAM
- After successfully passing the background investigation, applicant will be scheduled for an L2 (medical exam/drug screen) and L3 (psychological exam).
Must be 21 years of age as the date of hire.
QUALIFICATIONS TO TAKE THE WRITTEN EXAM:
MUST be currently licensed by TCOLE as a Peace Officer, or must provide an official letter from an academy that confirms the candidate is currently enrolled in a Basic Peace Officer Course. Applicant must have an anticipated graduation date within 60 days of applying. Out of state candidates will need to present TCOLE Certification at the time of applying.
High school diploma/ transcripts or GED certificate
All applicants must be of good moral character and habits. Any applicant who has been convicted of a Class B Misdemeanor or a crime of moral turpitude, within the last 10 years, shall be disqualified and not eligible for hire. Anyone convicted of a Class A Misdemeanor or above shall not be eligible for hire.
- Applicant must not have been convicted of four (4) or more hazardous traffic violations within 12 months preceding date of application.
- Applicant must not have been convicted of seven (7) or more hazardous traffic violations within 24 months preceding date of application.
- Applicant must not have been convicted as a habitual violator within the last five (5) years preceding date of application.
- Applicant must not have convicted of FSRA (failure to stop and render aid).
- Applicant must not have been convicted of DWLS (driving while licensed suspended) within the last five (5) years.
- Applicant must not currently be on probation for any traffic offense.
- Starting Pay: $52,956.80
- 13 Paid Holidays Per Year
- 10 Days Paid Sick Leave
- 10 Days Paid Vacation
- Up to 2 Additional Days Off Annually For Physical Fitness Testing (based on percentage attained during test)
- Employee Assistance Program
- Employee Life Insurance (County Paid)
- Employee Medical (County Paid)
- Other Employee Paid Benefits Through Allstate
- Social Security
- Texas County Retirement System
- 7% Employee Contribution
- 2:1 Employer/Employee Match
- 8 Year Vesting
- Deferred Compensation
- Uniforms And Equipment Provided
- Take Home Vehicle Provided (set guidelines)
Once a Deputy has completed the Comal County Sheriff’s Office Field Training Program and spent two (2) years on patrol, they are considered eligible to transfer to a Specialized Duty Assignment if available and posted to accept letters of intent.
- Narcotics Task Force
- Community Resource Division (School Resource Officer/Crime Prevention)
- Criminal Investigations Division
- Crisis Negotiations
- Traffic Unit
- Gang Unit
- Drone Unit
- K-9 Unit
- Directed Deployment Unit
- Courthouse Security
- Transport Division
- Seasonal Marine Patrol