Trailer Registrations and Renewals

Registration is required for all non-farm trailers operating on public highways. Registration and titling requirements vary according to trailer type and weight. Most utility trailers fall into two categories:

  1. Manufactured (built by a trailer manufacturer)
  2. Homemade (built by an individual in their garage or shop)

In addition, trailers are categorized by

  • Gross weights (the trailer weight plus the weight it can carry) under 4000 lbs.
  • Over 4,000 lbs.


Determine the Type of Trailer You Have

Start by looking on the trailer tongue. This is where you are most likely to find the manufacturer's name, which confirms you have a manufactured trailer. If you do not know whether the trailer is manufactured or homemade, it must be inspected by an auto theft law enforcement officer. To find the nearest inspection location with an auto theft law enforcement officer, contact your local county tax assessor-collector office or TxDMV Regional Service Center.

Manufactured Trailers:

If your manufactured trailer's gross weight exceeds 4,000 lbs., it must be titled. Submit the following documents to your county tax assessor-collector office:

Type of Trailer Evidence of Ownership
New trailer Manufacturer Certificate of Origin*
Used trailer over 4,000 lbs. gross weight Certificate of Title
Used trailer less than or equal to 4,000 lbs. gross weight Bill of Sale + Registration Receipt
* The Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin (MCO) is the document that allows you to register and/or title a new trailer. This is your trailer's "birth certificate," showing its unique identification information. A trailer manufacturer is required to provide a MCO to dealers or purchasers for every vehicle it manufactures.

Assembled Trailers:

Newly assembled trailers (including farm trailers) must be titled regardless of weight. For additional information on required documents and the titling process, please visit Assembled Vehicles. Assembled trailers with a non-titled record in Texas or registration receipt from another state may continue to be non-titled. If you currently have a non-titled record, and you opt to apply for title for your assembled trailer then the documents below are required.

If the assembled trailer does not have a Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), a completed Law Enforcement Identification Number Inspection (Form VTR-68A), and Notice of Assigned or Reassigned Identification Number (Form VTR-68-N) will be required.

Farm Trailers:

A farmer or rancher who owns a farm trailer or farm semitrailer may obtain a distinguishing Farm Trailer license plate for a $5 fee under certain conditions provided the trailer/semitrailer only transports:

  • Agricultural products,
  • Livestock
  • Farm Supplies
  • Participates in equine activities or livestock shows

Titling and registration requirements for farm trailers vary. For information about all required documentation and fees, contact your county tax assessor-collector office.

Application for Farm Trailer/Semitrailer, Farm Truck, or Farm Truck Tractor Lic..

Tax Office Main Page